Friday, August 15, 2014

Infrared photos on a rainy day.

IR filter with "hood".

I was looking forward to further testing out the flaring issue caused by using a R72 filter with the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens. More specifically, to test out whether the small step down ring hood could reduce the flare but alas, it decided to rain the entire day.

46mm to 37mm step down ring
If anything, the step down ring gives the camera a more discreet look by blocking out the lens markings (as discreet as a red camera gets). I later found out that the step down ring also made it a lot easier to screw the IR filter on and off between shots for manual focusing, due to increased surface area.

Red Umbrella, what else?
So shooting IR photos in the rain isn't the best idea, the long exposure times means that the raindrops will never be seen anyway. The sky is also darkened, so swapping red and blue channels does not give a blue sky. Which is why I ended up processing most of the photos as B&W. False colour does get old quick too.

Wet day at the park
This was taken at Pending park along the running track. I sheltered the camera and tripod with the umbrella while taking most of these shots. Probably looks dumb but there isn't anyone walking around on a rainy weekday afternoon to stare at me weirdly. Except for some secondary school kids, but they view the entire world with contempt anyway.

Playground Horse
Wondered what HDR would do for IR photos, so I took bracketed shots of the horse rides at the playground. I really don't know any cool tricks related to HDR merge, so I just tweaked the sliders till I obtained the least offensive image I could get.

Creepy Horse
Here's a creepier edit of the same shot, I dunno, maybe its not creepy. I added fake tear streaks on the horse's face though. For that extra EMO-punch, ugh...

Disco plant
Too many choices when it comes to false colours, so I went with all of the colours I liked. This was a odd looking plant that I came across while walking from Pending park to...

...Bukit Panjang Park.
See how I completed the sentence using the photo caption above? *nudge*
Very unoriginal.

Urban Treefront
I like this picture, to me it looks like the trees are part of a wave rolling towards the buildings. Also, there is a pesky branch in the top right corner that is out of focus due to motion blur. Due to the weather and slow shutter speeds, had a lot of photos rendered unusable due to this. Didn't want to use a higher ISO so I tried to underexpose for faster shutter speed and boosted the exposure with raw editor but it didn't turn out right either.

Taking IR photos in the rain resulted in zero photos which had that ring flare issue, not sure if the "hood" contributed. Another sunny day outing with the IR filter should provide the answer to that, if I can find another interesting park to visit.

I'm thinking Bukit Batok nature park, but it's usually packed with old people exercising, not sure how I'd like IR motion blurs of the jogging elderly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment